Here we hope to tell you a little about us, the governors, and what we do. The Governing Board is responsible for the strategic oversight of the school. The day-to-day management of the school is the responsibility of the Headteacher and staff of the school.
Some of the things governors do:
- Together with the Head and Senior Leadership Team, we set the vision and ethos of the school.
- We act as “critical friends”, supporting but also questioning the Head and the staff.
- It is our responsibility to make sure that all children are safe at school.
- We approve the curriculum.
- Working together with the Head and staff, we are forever seeking to improve not just the standards and results, but also the enjoyment that a rounded education can bring to children.
- Working with the Head and the Business Manager, we ensure that the budget that the school receives is managed efficiently and properly.
- Staffing levels are reviewed and approved by us.
- We are responsible for performance management of the Head.
- We agree staff pay levels.
- We listen to what children, parents and staff tell us about the school and act accordingly.
- Only very rarely, we hope, we appoint the Headteacher!
Governors are unpaid volunteers. We give our time and effort because we all passionately believe that children’s experience at primary school determines their attitude to learning throughout later life.
Further down in this section, you will find a list of all our governors. You will see that some are parents of children at the school, some are staff members, some have been co-opted from the community for the skills they bring to the Governing Board and one has been appointed by the Local Authority. We are united in wanting to do the very best for every child at Duston Eldean Primary School.
Chair of Governors