Welcome to Year 5!
Welcome to Year 5!
Year 5 is a busy and exciting time for the children. Throughout the year, children have the opportunity to take on a range of roles and responsibilities within the school community and are encouraged to strive for the highest standards of behaviour and attitudes at all times.
This is the time in which children begin their preparations for the transition to secondary school. Working closely with the Year 6 team, we support children’s development towards becoming mature, independent and responsible members of society with their own opinions and beliefs.
Children study a broad and motivating knowledge rich curriculum, which helps them to develop their skills in a range of academic, creative and sporting areas. Additionally, they will spend a large proportion of the year exploring a range of relevant social, moral and emotional issues. All of this helps the children to grow into unique individuals with a strong sense of self worth, ready to help them with their next steps in education.
Issued every Tuesday and due in the following Tuesday, the children have 7 days to complete their homework. Children have the option to attend Year 5 homework club in their own classroom during Monday’s lunchbreak.
- Presentation – three times a year
- Maths homework – weekly (this includes an optional MyMaths task)
- SPaG homework – weekly (this includes handwriting practice also)
- Reading (3 times minimum) - weekly
- Spelling zappers – ongoing
- TT rockstars – ongoing
- Dolphins: Tuesday and Friday
- Turtles: Monday and Friday
- Dolphins and Turtles: Friday
Year 5 highlights
- Community day at St Luke’s Church
- Viking History Off the Page Day
- Classroom exhibitions with parents – Viking and Egyptians
- Egyptian crafts day
- Art and design projects – electrical moon buggies, pyramid pully system, clay beast eyes
- Think Tank trip
- Swimming lessons