Skills For Life
Core Learning Skills
- Core Learning Skills (CLS) is a structured programme for all children which develops both the children’s intra-personal and inter-personal skills. Children are engaged in tasks which focus on their speaking and listening, their learning behaviours and teamwork skills. When involved in a group task, children are given set roles to help support their understanding in how teams require structure to be effective.
Philosophy for Children
- Philosophy for Children (enquiry-based learning) offers a way to open up children’s learning through enquiry and the exploration of ideas. Children learn that their ideas have value, and that the ideas of other children have value too. Through Philosophy for Children, they realise that they don’t always have to be right, but they gain the confidence to ask questions and learn through discussion. Furthermore, they develop the skills to debate and argue a point of view with respect.
- Reflection Time provides a weekly opportunity for children to reflect and focus on various aspects of learning. From understanding how specific behaviours support learning to the importance of retrieval practice, this allocated time allows children to gain a greater awareness of how they can develop into stronger, more successful learners.
- Personal, Social, Health and Economic Education is an important and necessary part of all children’s education. We use a scheme called ‘JIGSAW’ to deliver the many components of PSHE.
- Protective Behaviours builds confidence and resilience by exploring our rights to feel safe. We teach about understanding feelings we experience when we are not safe and also the tools to enable ourselves to take action and find helps when they need it. They learn about healthy relationships.
- Forest School is a child-centred inspirational learning process, that offers opportunities for holistic growth through regular outdoor learning sessions. It is a long-term programme that supports play, exploration and supported risk-taking. It develops confidence and self-esteem through learner-inspired, hands-on experiences in a natural setting.
- Pupil Voice plays a central role in the opportunities we provide at Duston Eldean. We value and promote the expression of ideas and opinions by our children. Further information can be found under the ‘Pupils’ section on this website.
Metacognition & Growth Mindset
- An awareness and understanding of thought processes and the impact they have are crucial components of being the best learner we can be. To support this development at Duston Eldean we use the acronym ‘PIECE’ which highlights the five key elements of a growth mindset. A growth mindset is the understanding that our beliefs, behaviours and personality can all be positively developed and improved through displaying key attributes. ‘PIECE’ is part of our common, daily language when discussing learning.
P – Persistence
I – Inspired by others
E – Embrace challenges
C – Criticism is helpful
E – Effort is essential