Welcome to Year Two!
In Year Two, the children continue to build on their learning experiences from Year One. They develop their independence through looking after their own pencil cases and being able to choose support resources in the classroom. Life skills that are taught include effective teamwork, how to resolve conflict and how to sustain concentration levels for longer.
Our curriculum focuses on teaching new skills and revisiting ones previously mastered, in order to them to be secure by the end of Key Stage One.
Library Days: Tuesday (Otters) AM and Wednesday (Badgers) AM
Indoor PE: Monday PM
Outdoor PE: Tuesday PM
Parents are encouraged to play an important part in the children's learning through home learning activities.
All homework will be issued by Monday and is due in on Monday.
- Spelling zappers are issued and are then tested on alternate Fridays. Please see the classroom door for the dates.
- A spelling, punctuation or grammar-based task will be set each week. This will be discussed within the children’s reflection time each week so they are prepared and able to complete independently.
- Your child should be reading at least 4 times a week out loud to you. They can then ask to change their book.
-Maths Buzz Bingo will be sent out in alternate terms to help your child develop their maths skills.
- We ask that each child dedicates 10 minutes a week playing on Numbots. The program helps increase children’s mental recall of number facts.
- From Term 3, there is a topic project challenge. The deadline for this is printed on the sheet. These are also great opportunities for us to help the children with their oracy skills as they prepare to share and listen to each other’s projects.
The expectation is for children to read their school banded reading book at least four times in a week (preferably more). Sharing of the school library book is also
encouraged as a reading for pleasure learning opportunity. Reading logs will be checked weekly.
Children should be able to form sentences that make sense and that are correctly punctuated. Spelling independently through the application of their phonics and spelling knowledge is something that will develop throughout the year.
Year 2 Highlights:
-Healthy Tea Party (Thursday 19th October- Term 1)
-Space Day/Planetarium (Tuesday 7th November- Term 2)
-Christmas Production (Thursday 7th December 9:15am & 2pm, Friday 8th December- 2pm- Term 2)
-Synagogue Visit (Wednesday 10th Jan 2024- Term 3)
-Great Fire of London Day (Term 4)
-Great Fire of Northampton Museum Trip (TBC-Term 4)
-Errington Park (TBC-Term 5)
-Seaside trip (Provisional booked- Friday 21st June 2024- Term 6)